Cmdlet Help Editor not finding files.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:55 AM
I am using your excellent Cmdlet Help Editor v2 to create a Help file for a binary module and there are a number of problems:
  1. It does not find modules in $PSmodulePath, only the default ones. I have this in my $profile:
    $env:PSmodulePath += ';D:\Scripts\Modules' but it is never found in this latter path.
  2. I can create a help file, but, after saving it, the editor will never reload it; all it sees are the named Parameters, everything else is blank.
  3. The file is saved as <module>.Help instead of <module>.dll-Help when using a compiled module.
Am I missing a simple setting somewhere?
Coordinator
Dec 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1) I'm retrieving module list by calling "Get-Module -ListAvailable", so it should handle custom paths in the $PSModulePath
2) what do you mean? Editor internally loads the module and allows you to create and save external help file. There is nothing to reload.
3) help file name or format doesn't matter, you can use any name you want.
Dec 29, 2013 at 5:39 AM
I mean that after saving the file it disappears from the editor - if I double-click the module in the list again after reloading the editor I just get a collection of empty screens, as if I were making a new file.
Feb 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I am having the exact same issue. I was able to create an initial help file. I edited it a few times, then later when tried to edit it after I made changes to the .psm1 file it would not load anything. I am just getting blank fields

Was there a resolution for this?
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM
can you provide repro steps and screenshots?
Feb 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM
All I did was, I used Import Module from File and added my custom psm1 file. I then edited this file several times. I made several modifications to the psm1 file, saved them then went to edit the Help in PS Cmdlet Help Editor. Whenever I open any psm1 file now it comes up blank - no functions to create help for. This appears to be something with the configuration it stores. While I could dig through the source, it would be quicker to ask. Where is the application saving the configuration? A file in my profile or the registry - where might that be located.
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:02 AM
Okay, it is not a configuration issue. I removed all the functions from the psm1, added each back and tried the editor. It had an issue with a function I was trying to incorporate into my psm1. The function is located here: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-GPOLogonScriptReport-966684ee. I can't find what the problem is the function runs fine in PowerShell.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM
When you select a PSM1 file you add module to a list of available module. After that you have to open existing help file (New -> Open).
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Yes, I do that already. After I added the function I post a link for above the PS Cmdlet Help Editor would not display any of the functions. The same thing should occur if you create a new psm1 file and put the above function in it. I am not sure exactly what the editor is tripping up on, but I'll play with it more to try and find out.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Can you provide a screenshot?
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM
I'll try to get you a couple screen shots tomorrow (its pretty late where I am). Heck, I'll see if I can make a screen recording that shows the issue and send you a link to it.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM
would be nice too.