Incredible failure, days of work and full project help lost

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:28 PM
I was very happy to find this program thinking that it would save me a heck of a lot of time in generating both the help files for the project itself as well as the HTML to put up on the website. I spent my weekend meticulously creating the help info and filling it out, only to find today that one of my cmdlets had two properties badly named. So, I updated the code and rebuilt the .dll file, expecting the program to reload the information.

It did not.

After poking around for about 15 minutes I decided I would just edit the file directly. So after closing the program, I opened the main file up in Notepad++ and in a minute or so had renamed the properties appropriately.

I reopened the project in the program and saw that everything was red. I clicked in to one of my cmdlets and suddenly the entire cmdlet list disappeared. No errors, nothing. Without saving, I closed the program and reopened the file to see in my utter horror that it was devoid of any information.

So now I have a decision to make. I can attempt to try this over again, knowing that if I make ANY changes to my library in the future I may have to do it again, or I'll look for some other way to do this. I really wanted this to work. I really did, but now I'm out two and a half days of annoying work.

So, feature requests: 1) some way throw an error instead of deleting everything, in the case that something isn't working right
2) a way to refresh the list, and determine what to do about changes. If I update my cmdlet parameter from 'this' to 'that', and add a new parameter of 'theOtherThing' then I need a way to update. Maybe this already exists, but the 'load from module' options in the menu were disabled.

Either way, I'm now terrified of using this again. I'll refrain from giving it a bad review since I suppose it's technically my fault for editing the file in the first place.
Coordinator
Jan 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM
Hi, I feel your pain and it is very unfortunate.
I reopened the project in the program and saw that everything was red
Did you notice module status when all commands become red? Was the module Online or Offline (it is shown in statusbar)? If it was Online, then the problem was caused by a module.
Since modules are changed over time, new commands may appear and some commands may be removed from the module. The code compares command list in PSHPROJ file and one returned by "Get-Command -Module <modulename>". If something exist in a project file and is not listed in "Get-Command" output, this command/parameter is marked in red as obsolete. When you save the project red commands are removed from the file. In worst cases, if due to some reason, the module is incorrectly configured/installed and the "Get-Command" do not return any results from the module, entire command list is marked in red and upon save is removed completely from editor window and from project file. It appears that you ran into this case.
Also, did you receive any message box when you reopened the project?

If module is "Offline", all commands are mark in red, however nothing is removed, because there is no reliable source to compare and they are saved as is without any information loss. It didn't sound like your case.
I clicked in to one of my cmdlets and suddenly the entire cmdlet list disappeared
I didn't get how the command list disappeared when you selected a command in the list. Command removal occurs only when you save the project. There are no other paths that would clear commands.
a way to refresh the list, and determine what to do about changes. If I update my cmdlet parameter from 'this' to 'that', and add a new parameter of 'theOtherThing' then I need a way to update
currently it is supported only via project file reload (close and open it again).