Updating Binary Help

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:09 PM
Great work - the stability has improved recently and this has saved me hours of work thus far :).

I have a quick question that is not entirely clear from my testing thus far. I have a compiled C# dll that exposes multiple cmdlets. When the .dll is updated, i.e. new commands added or parameters added/renamed/deleted, are these changes automatically reflected? My testing is inconclusive at this moment in time.

When the dll is recompiled, how do we ensure that it's reloaded/scanned for changes? I presume I'm doing something incorrectly?

Many Thanks, Iain
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM
if the module is loaded and is online (you can see module status in statusbar), then editor will update cmdlet metadata. New cmdlets and parameters are marked in blue and removed cmdlets and parameters are marked in red. This may help you: Editing help content
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Ah thanks! So the module needs to be in the PSModulePath and discoverable? I shall have to give this a go :).

Up until now, I have just been manually opening the module manifest file (.psd1) to initially create the help file. Presumably this would be why I've not seen the updates when the .dll is recompiled?

I also have a feature request to do with binary cmdlets - where should this be filed? In here or in the Issues?

Cheers, Iain
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM
I also have a feature request to do with binary cmdlets - where should this be filed? In here or in the Issues?
in Issues. Just specify "Proposed" item type.